Updates on My eyes

This is my own little place to let people know about what I am going through dealing with the auto immune disease Multifocal Chorioditis and just keep people updated on my progress

Thursday, July 07, 2011

Almost to 13 weeks... Twice as long.... Yay

We have now made it to almost 13 weeks, twice as long as I have ever been, this is great news and today I had a doctors apt. I am still attached. YAY!!!!!!!

Some additional good news is that the swelling is getting a little bit better. My vision is about the same, but through the scans she can see that it is getting better. She did not expect it to go away in a week.

Pressure in my right eye was 9, little bit low, but pressure in my left eye was 27, little high. We would worry about this pressure if I could see out of that eye. We will probably monitor it for a while and see what happens. I may have to go on glaucoma drops in that eye or eventually have surgery if it becomes painfull. To explain eye pressure to anybody who doesn't know.. Anything between 10-15 is perfect, between 15-20 is normal, 20-30 is high and watch it, now between 30-40 it takes months to years for damage to your optic nerve to occur, 40-50 weeks to months, 50-60 days to weeks, and anything about 60 you better be getting in for surgery NOW. Glaucoma is very painful when the pressure gets too high, like filling a balloon too much. Damage to your optic nerve is irreversable and it will slowly damage and remove your peripheral vision.

OK, so the bad news now. I can not stay on 60 mg of prednisone for a long time, so they decided to put me on an immune suppressive therapy drug, CELCEPT. With my eye disease being auto-immune, it tricks my immune system to believing my eyes are bad so it tries to kill them using my immune system with inflammation. So, they have to shut down my immune system. I have been on this drug before, long time ago, and multiple other drugs like it. Hopefully we can get me off of prednisone and maybe in the future the CELCEPT. It was either go on this drug, or get an injection.

Draw backs to the immune suppressive therapy drugs: I will be very susceptible to colds, flu's, infections, ect. So I will ad this now, it will take a couple weeks for this drug to kick all the way in, but after that if you are sick, and you want to come over, you are just getting over something, or if somebody you just visited or live with is sick, please do not come over. I can not afford to get sick, I understand I will get it from a lot of places anyway, but any coughing, vomiting, or sneezing could put my eyes at even more risk. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home