"Living with Blindness" class Day 1
So, Starting Monday, April 8th I started attending a class at the Commission for the Blind in Portland, Oregon. I will say this already, many things I can not put in here because they are confidential, but I will put down my feelings and stuff.
Day 1 was different than any other day. We left Albany at 8am. There are 3 people from Albany going up there every monday. It was great to meet new people in my area who have vision problems. We all have different things wrong, and different degrees of vision.
We got up there and had orientation. I felt like an outsider, because many people are there for other clases (braile, cooking, technology, ect.). We introduced ourselves and told everybody what our vision was like. we meet all the instructors/councelours.
We were supposed to get a tour of the portland campus, but due to paperwork not being filled out, we didn't get the tour.
Next we had lunch, and I will say it was terrible. They ordered Subway, which would have been OK if the bread was not soggy, yuck. I picked the meat and cheese off of it, and through the rest away. The rest of lunch was OK, chips, apple and water. During lunch we introduced ourselves again, and also told everybody what we were looking forward to in these classes.
I was pulled aside and had a conversation with one of the councelours and teachers of this class. I debated on taking this clas, so we talked abotu that.
We got a small tour before class. In class there is 3 teachers and 8 students. We introduced ourselves again and told more about ourselves (family life, interests, ect.). I found I had similar vision has a couple people in my class and have similar interests as a couple people in the class.
We also learned about what to expect and what the "Camp" will be.
Starting April 15, for two weeks we will be put in sleep sheilds which put things completly black and will be required to wear them while at school. This is going to be interesting. Also, on Friday the 19 we have all day camp, which will be us in blind sheilds and learning techniques and doing group activies. Should be interesting and scary.
I will update every week or so with any information that I think is important.
Day 1 was different than any other day. We left Albany at 8am. There are 3 people from Albany going up there every monday. It was great to meet new people in my area who have vision problems. We all have different things wrong, and different degrees of vision.
We got up there and had orientation. I felt like an outsider, because many people are there for other clases (braile, cooking, technology, ect.). We introduced ourselves and told everybody what our vision was like. we meet all the instructors/councelours.
We were supposed to get a tour of the portland campus, but due to paperwork not being filled out, we didn't get the tour.
Next we had lunch, and I will say it was terrible. They ordered Subway, which would have been OK if the bread was not soggy, yuck. I picked the meat and cheese off of it, and through the rest away. The rest of lunch was OK, chips, apple and water. During lunch we introduced ourselves again, and also told everybody what we were looking forward to in these classes.
I was pulled aside and had a conversation with one of the councelours and teachers of this class. I debated on taking this clas, so we talked abotu that.
We got a small tour before class. In class there is 3 teachers and 8 students. We introduced ourselves again and told more about ourselves (family life, interests, ect.). I found I had similar vision has a couple people in my class and have similar interests as a couple people in the class.
We also learned about what to expect and what the "Camp" will be.
Starting April 15, for two weeks we will be put in sleep sheilds which put things completly black and will be required to wear them while at school. This is going to be interesting. Also, on Friday the 19 we have all day camp, which will be us in blind sheilds and learning techniques and doing group activies. Should be interesting and scary.
I will update every week or so with any information that I think is important.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home