Updates on My eyes

This is my own little place to let people know about what I am going through dealing with the auto immune disease Multifocal Chorioditis and just keep people updated on my progress

Thursday, January 31, 2013

A busy week of Appointments...

So, I am a bit late in the review... so this is a review from my appointment on Thursday, January 24 with the Doctors and the two meetins I had with the Blind Commission....

So, Apt with Dr. Suhler and Dr. Flaxel:

Appointment went great.  Vision got a bit better, could read line 20/150 with the pin holes.  Pressure was good at 14.  I asked his about going back and seeing the glaucoma specialist.  He said there was no need to go and see her.  Only one thing struck him as odd in my eye, but it has been there before and we saw cornea specialists to make sure it was OK... so no big deal.  We asked about what we are going to next and what the options are.  I think we are still in limbo... There are two injections they can now do...1.  That lasts 3 months and 2.  which lasts 3 years.  The 3 year one will replace the reticert overall but has not been approved through the FDA.  I have an apt. in May which will be right before the reticert  runs out.

Appointment with Counselor with the Commission for the Blind:

Met with my councelour on Tuesday, January 29.  We talked a lot and got my "plan" rough drafted.  Most of it was just standard talk that needed to get put on paper.  Information about the magnifiers, the IPhone, and the Meat Thermometer.  Information about finding work and help I will need.  The only thing I did not expect was the talk about counceling.  Because of the anxiety that came from my previous job, she is thinking that counceling may be needed to get over it.  I am hoping with magnifiers and talking software, it would get rid of this.  I also got a new tip for my cane.  It  is bigger and does not get stuck in the cracks and raised areas of the sidewalk.. works much better.

Appointment at the Commission for the Blind:

This appointment was yesterday, January 30.  This was supposed to be just with the technology person about talking software, but turned into another meeting with my councelour and a meeting with the rep for the magnifiers.  So, first, met with the talking software guy.  I got to try it out.  I like the magnifier you can turn on and off and change the sized and location of it, reminds me of my magnifier mouse.  I found I type too fast for the letter call out, but I did like the feature that you can have it read you a section or line of what you gyped.  We talked about size of monitors and found that a 24" screen is almost too ig for me.  We talked about a movable arm that would allow me to move the monitor close and far as I need it... that would be cool.  We are finding out some information about AutoCad and about the computer I use at home to find out if the softwre is compadable.  If it is, we will ry out the demos.

Meeting with my councelor was good.  Signed the plan and got some additional paperwork filled out for milage reimbursement and some other standard paper.  While I was meeting with her, the rep for the magnifiers was there so we got to try out two products... the I-loview 7 and the Devinchi.  Both are AWESOME.    The I-loview 7 is a portable devise about the size of a tablet (a bit thicker)  full HD with some really neat features.  Better than the amigo... and I came home with one.  :-)  The devinchi was awesome too.  It is similar to my Merlin (a CCTV = close circuit TV)  But instead of the camera being under the screen but over the screen.  Has the ability to turn the camera to do far away things and to turn it intoa mirror.  It also can TALK.  It can read what is on the screen. That would be nice if my eyes get tired and aI still have to read.  It can take the place of a computer monitor, but with me having to hav ethe screen close, not sure how that will work... we will see.  I talk with my councelour in a week or two and let them know my decision.  I will give them my Merlin and my amigo if I get this new device... no point of me having it.

Well, that is the update... a big one, but a great one.  If you want to see them you can serch the Devinchi on the Enhanced Vision website and also the I-loview 7 which is on a different manufactures website.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home