Updates on My eyes

This is my own little place to let people know about what I am going through dealing with the auto immune disease Multifocal Chorioditis and just keep people updated on my progress

Thursday, April 09, 2015

Here we go again!! and not in a good way!

It has been a long time since I have wrote on this blog... I had hoped that things would be quiet and I would never have to update my family on this again... well, that is not what happened.

Today, April 9, 2015 I went up to OHSU for a routine eye doctors apt.  It has been over 4 years since my reticert was put in, and almost 4 years since my last retinal detachment surgery.

Went into the Dr. Today like it was any other apt.  First thing that triggered something was going wrong was that my pressure was up.  It was up to 27 in the left eye and 18 in the right.  My right eye was still in normal range, but my left eye was getting higher.  We redid both pressures and they were the same.

OK, so my thoughts are.... what I thought was pain due to allergies, may have been glaucoma pain... great.  Luckily it is in my left eye not my right.

The fellow walks in, and starts to look at my eyes.... so far, we are doing good.  Some cells, but nothing more than usual.  He looks in my eye and is just about done, when he says to me, I think you have a Lesion.  I was shocked!  Dr. Suhler walked in, and says how is it doing.. I say, it has not been a good Month... he asks why, and was told that I may have a lesion.  Dr. Suhler looks into my eye without even looking at my chart, and instantly send me over to Photography.  He said he needs to see the pictures, but he is not taking any chances.

I get back to the room after photography, and Dr. Suhler and Dr. Flaxel (my other doctor) are talking together in the hall with Her fellow beside them.  The result was, I have a lesion.  They do not think it is leaking fluid, but inflammation.  We have some options...

1.  Steroid injection - but we do not have control on where the fluid will go and it only lasts a couple days.
2.  Avastin injection - Don't think this will work as it is not fluid leaking but inflammation
3.  A new steroid injection that works for 2 weeks and is in pill form - they do not perform these in people without a lens.  The tablet will go straight to the front of my eye and since I am fixed and dialated, it makes the chances of this happening even worse.
4.  Oral Prednisone (steroids) - Basically our only option...

So, I have now been put on Oral Steroids 60mg for at lest the next 2 weeks.  I do not know if this will work, but we will have to find out in 2 weeks.  I see Dr. Suhler again then, and we will see what is going on.

The biggest problem is that I can not be on oral steroids the rest of my life.  We will have to think of something else.  This could mean, immune supressive Therapy drugs, this could mean surgery, we don't know.

I would ask for all your prayers as this will be a hard time emotionally for my family.  Not only the thought of my eye disease attacking again, but what will happen next.  i will also be battling weight gain, and low blood sugars.

Will update more when I see him again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home